The NBA suspended their season on March 11th, 2020. This came after, Utah Jazz Center, Rudy Gobert tested positive for the Corona Virus. At least a dozen NBA players have tested positive for the Virus. Kevin Durant was one of 4 Brooklyn Nets players who tested positive on March 17th. Boston’s, Marcus Smart, tested positive on March 19th as well.
The NBA is starting to open their facilities across the country for individual workouts. They are trying to come up with a plan where they can continue the season and playoffs.
According to Shams Charania, The NBA is working on multi-phase medical/safety protocols toward restart of play. Current projections have in-market training camps in July, then camps/scrimmages in Orlando. Lakers guard Danny Green was on The Herd with Colin Cowherd this week. Green said the players would need at least a month to get into playoff game shape.
- Los Angeles Lakers (49-14).
- Los Angeles Clippers (44-20).
- Denver Nuggets (43-22).
- Utah Jazz (41-23).
- Oklahoma City Thunder (40-24).
- Houston Rockets (40-24).
- Dallas Mavericks (40-27).
- Memphis Grizzlies (32-33).
- Milwaukee Bucks (53-12).
- Toronto Raptors (46-18).
- Boston Celtics (43-21).
- Miami Heat (41-24).
- Indiana Pacers (39-26).
- Philadelphia 76ers (39-26).
- Brooklyn Nets (30-34).
- Orland0 Magic (30-35).
Here is what The Sports Whisperer Proposes:
- A 17-day training camp for each team at their own facility.
- Top 8 Teams from each conference go to Orlando.
- Each conference will play a 7-game schedule. Each team will play 7 games, playing their conference once over an 18-day period.
- The Top 4 seeds will remain the top 4 seeds, but these games mean something for positioning.
- The 5-8 seeds will remain the 5-8 seeds, but these games mean something for positioning.
For example, If the top 4 teams in the Western Conference finish with these records below, after 7 games, that is what their playoff rankings would be.
After 7 games in Orlando:
The Lakers would be the No.1 seed.
The Jazz would be the No.2 seed.
The Nuggets would be the No.3 seed.
The Clippers would be the No.4 seed.
If the teams have a tie record after the 7 games. For example, The Lakers and Clippers both go 6-1. Whoever had the better record before the season was suspended gets the higher seed. The record before the season stopped, is the tie breaker. In the Eastern Conference, if the Bucks go 5-2 and the Raptors go 5-2, the Bucks would be the No.1 seed because they had the best record during the regular season. Repeat this format for the 5-8 seeds as well, an 8 seed can become a 5 seed if they play well during the 7-game season.
This formant is a win-win for the fans and the players. Every game means something when they arrive in Orlando. It creates a sense of urgency and every game counts for playoff positioning.
Follow the Sports Whisperer on Twitter: MonteJp231
Follow The Sports Whisperer on Facebook: Monte Perez