By Monte Perez: @MonteJp231.
The Portland Trail Blazers entered the NBA Bubble on the “outside, looking in” at a playoff spot. Over the Past two weeks, all that has changed. There are five reason why the Trail Blazers could be the best team in the bubble.
5) Carmelo Anthony is a perfect fit on this team:
- Over the past 7 games, Anthony is averaging 17.5 points and 6.8 rebounds. He is the perfect 3rd or 4th option. The former Syracuse star is playing like he did during the Olympics. He lets other players drive while he shoots the open three. “Melo” does not have to create his own shot and over dribble. He is thriving because of Portland’s system.
4) Jusuf Nurkic is a lesser version of Denver’s Nikola Jokic:
- Nurkic has come back from injury and has played very well. He is averaging 17 points 10.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2 block shots per game.
3) Gary Trent Jr. has become a sharpshooter:
- On June 21, 2018, Trent Jr. was drafted by the Sacramento Kings with the 37th overall selection in the 2018 NBA Draft. He was subsequently traded to the Trail Blazers. Trent has become a reliable shooter and scorer off the bench. He also has an affinity for trash talking. At 21-years-old, his future is bright.
2) Damian Lilliard and CJ McCollum are the most efficient backcourt in the NBA:
- Over the past 4 games Lillard has scored 45, 22, 51 and 61 points. He is playing with an attitude and killer instinct. McCollum is the perfect No.2 option scoring 22.2 points, 4.4 assists and 4.2 rebounds per game. This backcourt is a nightmare for every team in the NBA.
1) The Trail Blazers are the most versatile team in the NBA.
- Portland can beat you with “small ball” or they can pound the ball inside. They have three skilled big men in Nurkic, Zach Collins and Hassan Whiteside.
This team has a great chance to make a run at a title.
Watch: The Full Monte Sports Show.
When: Sunday’s 11 Am Eastern Time.