I did something on Sunday I never thought I would do.
On The Full Monte Football Show, I predicted that the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns would win their games and they did. I got lucky, but as the saying goes, even a blind squirrel gets a nut.
5 Things We Learned About Week 12:
5) Is Phillip Rivers the MVP? The LA Chargers are 8-3 and are in the race to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. On Sunday, Rivers helped the Chargers beat the Arizona Cardinals 45-10. The former North Carolina State quarterback completed 28 out of 29 passes and threw for 3 touchdowns, he also set the NFL record for 25 straight completions. Rivers is completing 69.5% of his passes, has 26 touchdowns and only 6 interceptions. If the Chargers win their division, he should win the MVP.
4) Have we seen the last of Joe Flacco in Baltimore? The Ravens have won two in a row since rookie Lamar Jackson replaced the injured Joe Flacco. Over the past two games, Jackson has rushed for over 200 yards and thrown for over 300 yards. Jackson is raw and inexperienced but his teammates and coaches seem to love his athleticism and playmaking ability. I would be shocked if Flacco takes another snap for the Ravens.
3) Denver and Seattle are back in the hunt? The Broncos and Seahawks have both won 2 in a row. Denver is now 5-6 and Seattle is 6-5. Both teams are winning with timely defense and a very affective running game. The rest of the country doesn’t know about him, but undrafted free-agent ,Philip Lindsay has been sensational. He rushed 14 times for 110 yards against the Steelers. Both of these teams are playing with confidence and appear to be peaking at the right time.
2) Houston… The rest of the league has a problem. The Texans beat the Tennessee Titans on Monday night 34-17. Houston has now won 8 straight games in a row. Lamar Miller rushed for 162 yards and newly acquired Demaryius Thomas had two touchdown catches. This team is clicking on all cylinders and no one wants to face that defense and Deshaun Watson in the playoffs.
1) Can anyone stop the Saints: After losing the first game of the season the New Orleans Saints have won 10 games in a row. Drew Brees has 29 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.
This is a team that can make plays on defense and car outscore anyone in the NFL. The Saints keep rolling and would anyone be shocked if they wind up going 14-2 or 15-1?
The Sports Whisperer’s Top 5 Rankings:
- New Orleans Saints
- LA Rams
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Houston Texans
- New England Patriots
The Sports Whisperer’s Top 5 MVP Candidates:
- Phillip Rivers- Chargers
- Drew Brees- Saints
- Patrick Mahomes-Chiefs
- Todd Gurley-Rams
- Jared Goff-Rams
Follow The Sports Whisperer on Twitter: Montejp231
and listen to The Full Monte Football Show