By: Joe Cardoso
Week 8 in college football was used a lot of teams to put the playoff committee and fans on notice that they are for real. Squads like Notre Dame, Miami, and Penn State to name a few had very impressive wins and continue to march towards one of the four playoff spots. It is fun to have some not household names in the top 10 and shine the light on programs that were an afterthought at the start of the year. After what we all witnessed Saturday night can we skip the unneeded drama and give Saquon Barkley the Heisman. And I pray for a fast end to the season for Butch Jones who’s Vols are just bad this year, my player of the week was easy and no shocker it’s Mr. Barkley. What a show under the lights of a whiteout game and against what we all thought was and still is a good Michigan defense. This kid is special and still has games to play. Now let’s check out my weekly top 10.
- Alabama Crimson Tide: (8-0) SHUTOUT win and heading into the bye week. This is not good news for the rest of the nation they will get healthier and work on things to get better. This team is set up for a serious run.
- Penn State Nittany Lions: (7-0) As I said the Michigan defense was giving teams NO mercy and then PSU racks up 506 total yards on them. Still, think they are overrated or haven’t played anyone? OK, next up Ohio State on the ROAD. How do you like your crow?
- Georgia Bulldogs: (7-0) I have not hidden my fanboy crush on Jake Fromm since day one of his show I watched. And the kid is ballin steady and making plays when needed. Coming off the bye and into a BIG game vs the Gators. This has trap game written all over it, Kirby Smart and his staff must keep their kids focused and get the W.
- TCU Horned Frogs: (7-0) Do you even consider a game vs Kansas a game? Or is it just a practice on TV? I mean geez anyway 43-0 whopping and now a hungry Iowa State team with NOTHING to lose. Win this and Gary Patterson and company are rolling along to New Year’s Day.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish: (6-1) Where did you guys come from? Wasn’t Brain Kelly on the mega-hot seat and you lost so much talent in the draft blah, blah, blah. And this is why the games are played on the field and not on TV or on social media. USC was the hot new girl at the start of the season and the Irish proved it was just photoshop and good lighting with 49-14 BEAT DOWN! I am a fan of Brandon Wimbush and this NC State game is another resume builder.
- Clemson Tigers: (6-1) The bye came right on time and now they can focus on ending the year right and playoff dreams are NOT over yet. Never easy facing the triple option but last year held the Yellow Jackets to just 95 yards on the ground so.
- Wisconsin Badgers: (7-0) The formula is simple and effective Jonathan Taylor runs and the D gives up almost nothing. That’s it.
- Miami Hurricanes: (6-0) Where can I get a turnover chain? The whole idea and design is so dope! Fans of the U must be on heart meds as every game is a nail-biter and nerve-racking. If you saw what the Hokies did to the Tar Heels a trip to Chapel Hill may be just what the doctor ordered for the Canes.
- Virginia Tech Hokies: (6-1) Slowly coming along and no one is paying them any mind which is how the folks in Blacksburg like it. Duke game another chance to keep growing. Nice to see Beamer Ball alive and well.
- Oklahoma Sooners: (6-1) Baker Mayfield will carry them until his legs give out PERIOD. The defense has so many issues but in Baker the Sooners trust.
We are getting to the FUN part of the season and the first round of playoff rankings are creeping up on us fast. My games of the week are Penn State Vs Ohio State and Georgia Vs Florida. The best football is played on Saturday! Before I go congrats and SHOUTOUT to Carla Williams who was named athletic director at the University of Virginia. The FIRST African-American female AD in the power five conference. All about progress baby! Follow our blog @NutsAndBoltsSP for more sports or me @JoeCardoso301 Until next time CFB fans!!