By: Joe Cardoso
The dust has settled and the time has come for, college football and rankings time. Looking at this past weekend’s slate of games and on paper, it didn’t have any matchups at stood out. I figured teams would handle their business and move on. Well in college football and all sports the games are not played on paper. My top 4 has had some moves and second thoughts on top teams have come fast and furious. And if you lose games at home you will pay in any rankings and make it tough on college football playoff runs. It’s all about the resume baby and if you have suspect loses on yours you get no love from the powers that be or me. I went out west for my player of the week Arizona Wildcat QB Khalil Tate who went OFF, against Colorado 327 yards rushing and 5 total TD’S! His rushing yards are an FBS record for rushing yards by a QB. As the leaves get browner the games will only get better and the first playoff rankings are coming up fast. So with the shakeups who is in the top ten?
- Clemson Tigers: (6-0) Injury to Kelly looks like a little ding and at this point, everyone is a little banged up. This is the point of the season where they just need to be focused and win games. Next up Syracuse should prove to be a non-threat.
- Alabama Crimson Tide: (6-0) Not to sound corny but roooooooooooll tide and 3 homes games in a row on deck. They make winning in the SEC look so easy, will anyone step up?
- Penn State Nittany Lions (6-0) Just doing what they should do winning games and build up Saquon Barkley Heisman Trophy run. Rest will be needed as they face a hard-hitting Michigan defense after the bye.
- Georgia Bulldogs: (6-0) Kirby Smart isn’t paying for any meals this year with the way this team is balling out. They run you over and don’t stop until the final whistle blows. My favorite frosh Jake Fromm is NOT doing anything to hurt them and that is a very good thing. Can we revisit the preseason rankings by the “experts”? I’ll wait………
- TCU Horned Frogs: (5-0) The Sooners better recognize the new big bad in the Big 12, and it is the Horned Frogs. Gary Patterson teams punch you in the face and wait for you to get up.
- Washington Huskies: (6-0) Perhaps the weak schedule is hurting them in the rankings? Up next is Arizona State and the fireworks should be going off again.
- Wisconsin Badgers: (5-0) The next great back from running back U is Jonathan Taylor who ran for a little bit to the tune of 249 yards and two touchdowns. Classic Badger QB play aka don’t screw it up.
- Washington State Cougars: (6-0) Luke Falk is getting better every game and will be playing on Sunday’s. Road wins are hard to come by and matter a ton a beat down of Oregon matters.
- Miami Hurricanes: (4-0) Can I have a turnover chain? Welcome back to the big leagues Miami! Two coaches who got run out of town are making huge comebacks this season Mark Richt is building the Canes the right way. It’s not the 2000’s all-star teams YET, but really fun to watch. Sucks to see Mark Wilson go out for the year so NEXT MAN UP.
- Oklahoma Sooners: (5-1) Sad performance. Losing to a double-digit underdog is never a good thing. Play with fire and you will get burned.
The season is at full throttle and taking shape nicely. Week 7 must-see games for me are Texas vs Oklahoma, TCU vs Kansas State, and Auburn vs LSU. Who will stumble this week or step up and further their case for a New Year’s Day bowl game. I am almost over the Michigan loss to the other school, but when you don’t make plays you lose. Another week of battles on deck let’s keep the conversation going by following @NutsAndBoltsSp or me @JoeCardoso301. Catch me next week and all season long with my college football review and rankings.