By: Joe Cardoso
Where do we start? Hands down the best week of college football 2017 so far, and the best is yet to come people. We saw Miami REALLY let the nation know the turnover chain and the hype is no game it is REAL. Ohio State went to Iowa and got taken around back for an old school butt kicking and some underrated teams bulked up their resumes. It was a noon until 2 am fun fest which ended with Arizona just running out of steam to beat a fired-up USC team. The upcoming week has a lot to live up to and I have full confidence it will. When have we seen a game of John Madden played in real life like we saw Bedlam 2017 was crazy but once again Baker Mayfield showed why he should be in New York this year and is the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy putting OU on his back. He was my player of the week after the show he put on for the Sooners, and here are my weekly top 10 and playoff rankings ahead of Tuesday’s official release. They didn’t make my top ten, but I see you UCF, USC, Michigan State quality wins and steady play in the home stretch.
Player of The Week: Baker Mayfield Oklahoma Sooners 24-of-36 598 yards SIX total touchdowns and 2 picks.
3. Notre Dame
- Georgia Bulldogs: (9-0)- The way Notre Dame is playing makes them look even better in my opinion that was a road win folks. My dude Jake Fromm is getting better weekly and this we since Notre Dame as the Tigers of Auburn host them. BIG TIME SEC clash and playoff chances on the line. Can’t wait these are why Saturday’s in the fall are so good.
- Alabama Crimson Tide: (9-0)- Made easy work of LSU the injuries on the defense are a thing to look at, but then again this is Bama the inventors of next man up. Mississippi State should prove to be light work.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish: (8-1) –
what else do we need to see from the Irish to believe they are the real deal? Got to love the duo of Josh Adams and Brandon bush and they will need both as they face the U aka Miami. Another fall big game and I’m all in on it.
- Clemson Tigers: (8-1)- You go ahead and keep counting them out and not giving the defending champs the respect they have earned. Funny how they always seem to find a way to win ball games. The Florida State game at the start of the season had so much promise now not so much.
- Miami Hurricanes: (8-0)- Swing that turnover chain baby! The Canes are back, felt like 2001 almost with a fast-aggressive defense and an offense that did just enough. Next up another big boy as Notre Dame comes to town. A win here would shut up haters and make the College Football Playoff voters stand up and recognize the boys from the U.
- Oklahoma Sooners: (8-1)- The Sooners move up the rankings and if number 6 is under center they have a chance, even with their suspect defense. If you thought Bedlam was fun wait until Gary Peterson and TCU show up at Norman, bring some popcorn and enjoy the show.
- Wisconsin Badgers: (9-0)- Steady and smooth that’s the Badger way this year with Jonathan Taylor doing the heavy lifting. Next up Iowa coming off its mega upset of Ohio State, don’t take them lightly fellas.
- TCU Horned Frogs: (8-1)- Next up the Sooners can the defense lead them to the win? Stay tuned BIG-time road test.
- Washington Huskies: (8-1)- Oregon was no match for a team that keeps on winning and if you haven’t yet, drink a Red Bull or a Bang and watch Dante Pettis dude is a special player. Stanford on the road could be a trap game.
- Auburn Tigers: (7-2) Now I can hear it already, Joe how the heck is Auburn in over UCF. My answer is to look at who the Tigers have played. From week 1 until now it’s like night and day and the Georgia game will be the final exam for this squad.
The weekend can’t come fast enough we have major games and resume building chances for teams. My games of the week are: Georgia Vs Auburn, Notre Dame Vs Miami, TCU Vs Oklahoma, and Washington Vs Stanford. For more college football talk follow our blog @NutsAndBoltsSportsSP or me @JoeCardo