There are 3 things inevitable:
3) Clemson and Alabama will make it to the college football Final Four Playoffs.
The Sports Whisperer’s Top 20, Pre-Season Rankings:
20) Nebraska and UCLA: Scott Frost and Chip Kelly are both entering their 2nd year at Nebraska and UCLA. They will turn these programs around quickly. Both should win 8 games.
19) Syracuse: Dino Barbers led the Orangemen to a 10-3 record last season. They are heading in the right direction.
18) Wisconsin and Michigan State: Year in and year out these two teams are predicated on running the ball and being sound defensively.
17) Iowa State and Iowa: I have these two teams ranked way ahead of USC. What does that say for the Trojans?
16) Penn Sate: James Franklin is building a winning program at Penn State. A former team doctor is now alleging that Franklin urged him to clear players after an injury. Will that affect his teams play or his future in Happy Valley?
15) UCF: Darriel Mack Jr. is expected to compete with Notre Dame transfer Brandon Wimbush for the starting job. UCF is doing a better job of recruiting in-state players than Florida State.
14) Washington State:
Mike Leach has the cougars playing with confidence. It is almost impossible to win at Martin Stadium. Leach is 26-10 in PAC-12 games over the past 4 years.
13) Auburn: The Tigers will be tested early as the open up against the Oregon Ducks. Auburn’s team speed on defense could give any offense problems.
12) Norte Dame: In 9 years at Notre Dame, Brian Kelly has had one losing season. In 2016, the Fighting Irish went 4-8. He has followed that up with a 10-3 and 12-1 record. In 4 years at the Cincinnati, Kelly was 36-4, at ND he is 81-35.
11) Texas A&M: Jimbo Fisher is a lot like Brian Kelly… he just wins. In his first year at Texas A&M his team went 9-4. They could win 10 games this year. Fisher is not a great “In-Game” coach but he is a tremendous recruiter.
10) LSU: Ed Orgeron has a career coaching record of 41-36. LSU has to play at #10 Texas and at #2 Alabama. Those are 2 loses right there.
9) Ohio State: The Buckeyes should take a step back without Urban Meyer. They still have enough talent to win 9 or 10 games.
8) Florida: Dan Mullen took a 4-7 Florida team from 2017 and won 10 games last season.
7) Michigan: With Urban Meyer no longer on the Ohio State sidelines, the Big-10 is now Jim Harbaugh’s to lose. The bad news is, they now have a bullseye on their backs and no team will take them lightly.
6) Texas: Sam Ehlinger had 41 touchdown passes last season. He has a ton of talent around him. He reminds me of a better passing version of Tim Tebow. This team should battle Oklahoma for the Big-12 title.
5) Georgia: If the Georgia Bulldogs were in any other conference they would be playing in the Final Four. They simply haven’t found away to beat Alabama. Unfortunately, for Georgia fans, they will probably meet Bama in the SEC Championship once again.
4) Oregon : Senior quarterback Justin Herbert could be the number 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ducks offensive line has over 150 starts between them.They could be the best offensive line in college football. Herbert should be in contention for the Heisman Trophy all season long. Oregon may not be a top 4 team in the country but if they win the PAC-12, that should get them a Final Four appearance. The Ducks could lose to Auburn in their first game of the season and still play in the playoffs. Mario Cristobal is bringing a “Swag” back to Oregon, predicated on ground and pound and team speed.
3) Oklahoma: Oklahoma has been to the Final Four playoffs two seasons in a row. They now have a quarterback who has one a national championship in Jalen Hurts. The Former Alabama quarterback would like nothing more than to play his former team for the title. Oklahoma is loaded on both sides of the ball and Hurts should thrive in their quarterback friendly system.
2) Alabama: The Alabama Crimson Tide are coming off an embarrassing 44-16 loss to the Clemson Tigers. It was the worst loss Saban has faced while being at Alabama. Tua Tagovailoa threw for 43 touchdowns last season and can beat teams with his arms and his legs. Jerry Jeudy had 14 touchdown receptions and averaged 19.3 yards per carry. Najee Harris should be the featured back but Alabama’s 2nd and 3rd stringers would start for most college football teams. Nick Saban loses players every to the NFL on both sides of the ball but his teams seems to always dominate the SEC. Saban is coming back this year with a chip on his shoulder.
1) Clemson: This could be the Best offense Dabo Swinney and Clemson ever had. If you were going to build a quarterback with a group of scientists 9 times out of 10 they would produce Trevor Lawrence. He is NFL ready, now. Travis Etienne averagedd 8.1 yards per carry last year as a sophomore and had 24 touchdowns. Defensively Clemson is fast, aggressive to the ball and nasty. This team could win the next two Championships under Lawrence.
Final Four Prediction:
#1 Clemson over #4 Oregon
#2 Alabama over #3 Oklahoma
National Championship :
#1 Clemson over #2 Alabama
Follow The Sports Whisperer on Twitter: MonteJP231
And Listen to #TheFullMonteFootballShow… We work hard on Sunday’s, covering football, so you don’t have to