We are now half we through the football season. In the history of the NFL, teams that have won at least 10 games, make the playoffs 88% of the time.
5 Things We Learned About Week 8 In The NFL.
5) How good are the Saints? New Orleans defeated the Minnesota Vikings on the road Sunday Night, 30-20. The Saints dominated the game from start to finish. Drew Brees threw for 120 yards and 1 touchdown. The Vikings had 423 total yards on offense, the Saints had 270, and they still won. Sean Peyton has got his team winning even when Brees doesn’t dominate the game. That is a great sign for Saints fans and a scary thought for the rest of the NFC.
4) Jameis Winston is an absolute bust. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected Winston as the number overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. Winston was benched on Sunday after throwing 4 interceptions against the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Winston was 18 for 35, 276 passing yards, 1 touchdown and 4 interceptions
- Ryan Fitzpatrick came off the bench and was 11 for 15, 194 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions.
The Bucs have a plethora of offensive talent and Winston has been absolutely awful.
- He has a career record of 19-29
- His career stats…75 touchdowns, 70 Turnovers.
3) Here come the Carolina Panthers: The Panthers defeated the Baltimore Ravens 36-21. The Ravens have the #1 ranked defense in the NFL and the Panthers dominated them. Carolina rushed for 154 yards and threw for 232 yards. Cam Newton’s team is now 5-2 and appear to be on their way to the post-season. Newton has 2 or more passes in six straight games.
2) The Seahawks are the best team in the NFL that no one is talking about: After starting the season 0-2, Seattle has won four of their last 5 games. The Seahawks are doing this with a good running game and a good defense. Seattle is ranked 5th in the NFL, rushing for 134.7 yards per game and ranked 4th, giving up 18.7 points per game. Seattle has rushed for 150 or more yards in 4 straight games.
This team is playing well but their schedule is brutal. Over the next few weeks they will play:
- Home against the LA Chargers
- At the LA Rams
- Home against the Green Bay Packers
- At the Carolina Panthers.
1) It is time for Mike McCarthy to be replaced in Green Bay: The Packers were up 10-0 on the road against the LA Rams. Facing a 1st down on his own 1 yard-line, McCarthy called for a running play. A dive up the middle, that resulted in a safety for the Rams. Why McCarthy didn’t call for Aaron Rodgers to go from the shot gun and make a play was mind boggling. Late in the game, after the Rams kicked a field goal and went ahead 29-27, Ty Montgomery, ran the ball out of the end zone and fumbled. The Rams recovered and won the game. Every coach in the country would have instructed HIS players to not run the ball out and take the touchback. McCarthy didn’t do this. I have seen this Green Bay coaching staff literally take games away from Rodgers with their play calling, their horrible clock management and wasting time outs. It is time for McCarthy to go.
- The Giants, 49ers and Raiders have a combined record of 3 and 20. The only team here that will draft a quarterback will be the Giants. Look for them to draft Oregon’s quarterback Justin Herbert.
- The Arizona Cardinals have beaten the 49ers, 8 Straight times.
- Ben Roethlisberger has a career record of 23-2-1 against the Cleveland Browns.
- Going into Monday Night’s game, Tom Brady is 28-3 against the Buffalo Bills.
- Eagles Quarterback Carson Wentz has a 115+ passer rating over the past 4 games.
- Redskins are 5-2 for the first time since 2008.
- John Conner is the 1st RB in Steelers history with 2 or more rushing TD’s in 3 straight games. (LeVeon Bell who?)
- Adam Thielen has 8 100-yard games to start the season. That is an NFL Record
The Sports Whisperer’s Top 5 Rankings:
#5 Carolina Panthers
#4 New Orleans Saints
#3 Kansas City Chiefs
#2 New England Patriots
#1 LA Rams
Follow The Sports Whisperer on Twitter: MonteAJP23