5 Things We Learned About Week 4 In The NFL:
#5) The Titans and Mike Vrabel are trending upwards: The Titans trailed by three points in overtime to the Philadelphia Eagles. Instead of going for the tie, coach Vrabel went for it on 4th down and the Titans won the game. Marcus Mariota was 30-43 for 344 yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 interception. Corey Davis had 9 catches for 161 yards and a touchdown. The Titans are now 3-1. Over the past two weeks the defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars (Who made it to the AFC Championship last season) and the Super Bowl Champion Eagles. Mariota was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week
#4) The Patriots bounce back: The New England Patriots defeated a previously undefeated Miami Dolphins team 38-7. This game was 31-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The Dolphins were an overrated 3-0 team and they proved it on Sunday. Rookie running back Sony Michel had 25 carries for 112 yards and Tom Brady threw for 3 touchdown passes. The Patriots are getting healthy, and with Michel,they have a legitimate running back who can rush for 100 yards per game.
#3) Break up the Cincinnati Bengals: Cincinnati came from behind to defeat the Atlanta Falcons on the road 37-36. In four game the Bengals have scored 34, 34, 21 and 37 points. Andy Dalton has been impressive under center. He is 103 for 157 with 1,119 yards. He has 11 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and a passer rating of 96.5. The Bengals are 3-1, Right now, they are the class of the AFC North. It was the first time they won in Atlanta since 1987.
#2) Did Frank Reich make the right call in Indianapolis? Coach Reich opted to go for it on fourth down from his own 43-yard line with 24 seconds left in overtime. The Colts didn’t make it and it set up Houston’s game-winning field goal. The Texans won 37 to 34. “I felt that we had a good drive there at the end and then just came up short,” Reich said after the game. “I’ll just address it now: I’m not playing to tie. I’ll do that 10 times out of 10. That’s just the way it’s got to roll.” The players rallied around their head coach and agreed with his decision.
#1) Is Jared Goff the MVP? The Rams are 4-0 and appear to be on pace for a 2nd straight division title.Goff is completing 72.4% of his passes, 1,406 yards ad 11 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. Goff has been the best quarterback in the NFC over the past 4 games. Goff was name NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
- Baker Mayfield reminds me of a young Brett Favre. He is a “gunslinger”
- That Giants and Raiders might not win 10 games combined.
- Alvin Kamara had three rushing touchdowns against the Giants. He is the most complete running back in the NFL.
- The Chiefs are 4-0 and they are very scary on offense. But, there defense will get exposed. Going into the Denver game, they were on the bottom of the NFL in almost every defensive category.
- Mitch Trubisky had 6 touchdown passes against the Buccaneers. The Bears are 3-1 and gaining confidence.
- Ezekiel Elliott had 240 yards from scrimmage. He needs to do that every week for Dallas to be competitive.
- Jaguars coach Doug Marone is now 8-1 in Jacksonville after his team loses a game.
- The Packer shutout the Bills 22-0. It was Green Bay’s 3rd shutout since 2008.
- The Steelers are in last place in the AFC North, Is Mike Tomlin on the hot-seat?
Follow The Sports Whisperer on Twitter: MonteAJP23