By: Chandler Ragsdale
- Baltimore Orioles- The Baltimore Orioles have had a very quiet offseason, to say the least. They need to make one or two more key moves to take them from that next step from wild card contender to division powerhouse. Fans won’t be satisfied forever with just an above average team, they want someone who can win it all. With that being said, there are some moves that they are in a position to make if they want. Specifically, this could include them going after a big time arm like Felix Hernandez or even Corey Kluber.
- Atlanta Braves- This Braves team has made many moves this offseason, and to the surprise of many, may be in a spot to compete in 2017. However, that’s just it, they need to compete. With the moves, they’ve made, and the new ballpark they are about to unveil, having another season like that of 2016 would be catastrophic to the team and fans. Signing veterans like Bartolo Colon and R.A. Dickey help them out a good bit, and also the signing of up and coming star Ender Inciarte also show that this team has the right idea and approach moving forward. All of those involved in this franchise from the players to the front office should definitely start working as hard as they can to compete in 2017.
- Washington Nationals- The Nets have a lot of talent, and we all know that. Heck, most of us predict every year that they will represent the National League in the World Series. However, that has not yet happened. This team is looking at the reality of potentially losing Bryce Harper after the 2018 season when he becomes a free agent. Also, they won’t have Max Scherzer or Stephen Strasburg forever either. To put it in simple terms, this team needs to start reaching their full potential now before it’s too late and the organization is left with disappointment.
- Pittsburgh Pirates- The Bucs have an issue on their hands, and he is a great center fielder who goes by the name of Cutch. Andrew McCutchen and the Pirates do not seem to be getting along as of late, and the Pirates can’t decide if they want to hold onto him or not. They still value him as the 26-year-old star center fielder that he was, but the truth now is that he is regressing some, and the rest of the league sees that. They need to do him right due to all of the great things he has done for this franchise since he’s been there. Either way, something needs to happen, and the Pirates need to put this at the top of their to-do list.
- San Diego Padres- The Padres desperately need help, and have needed it for a long time. A couple of off-seasons ago, they thought they had found that help by trading for Matt Kemp, and getting some other blockbuster names such as Justin Upton and Craig Kimbrel. As we all know, that project failed. Since then, they still haven’t been relevant or even made any moves to make it seem like they are moving towards relevance in the near future. This team needs to find a way to either get some good prospects and start to develop them, or see what they can find via trades or the free agency market. This could include at least trading for someone who knows a good bit about the game and can help younger players develop such as Ryan Braun from Milwaukee. Either way, they need to do something or this state of being uncompetitive will continue longer than anyone wants to see.