By: Joe Cardoso
Happy Sunday NFL fans and welcome to 1st and 10 as we get set for week 2 of the season. . Last week we saw the Washington Football team unleash it’s front seven on the world, the return of Cam Newton and the Jags show they aren’t tanking this season. Fourteen games on deck for week 2 let’s get it on!
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Carolina Panthers: The home debut of Tampa Tom who had a shaky game last week in New Orleans. With a week to prepare and finally having game tape, it will be interesting to see how he and the team bounce back. Can the Panthers slow down the Bucs running game unlike they did last week? The Bucs defense is good versus the run meaning this is a game that Teddy B will have to let it fly a bit. Rumors that Tom Brady is washed? Oh, really?
- Los Angles Rams vs Philadelphia Eagles: You almost get your quarterback killed last week and the reward is you face Aaron Donald and the Rams the following week. The return of Miles Sanders will help a ton as Philly still has offensive line issues. It wasn’t his best night last week but Jared Goff did enough and will look to build and improve, the Eagles defense wasn’t horrible last week so it shouldn’t be a cakewalk for the Rams. A loss and 0-2 start for Philadelphia will have one of the leagues’ most passionate fan bases inraged.
- Indianapolis Colts vs Minnesota Vikings: I am sure fans of the Chargers were screaming “SEE, that’s why we let him go!” while watching Phillip Rivers throw horrible interceptions. Add in the loss of Marlon Mack for the season and week 1 was not fun for the Colts. For the Vikings, it was Adam Thielen vs the world and he showed out but could use some help for sure, with what we saw last week Minnesota couldn’t ask for a better team to face. You better believe Mike Zimmer has been all over his defense after almost giving up 50 points. Keep an eye on former Badger Jonathan Taylor to have an impact.
- Arizona Cardinals vs Washington Football Team: 8 sacks! That is not a typo 8 sacks! Can this defense even come close to that against Kyler Murray who was dazzling against a top-level 49ers defense? Chase Young will be under the spotlight to help slow Murray down and the secondary has to contain DeAndre Hopkins who is elite. Dwayne Haskins will look to be on target with his throws and take what he’s given. We need to see a lot more from the WFT run game.
- Kansas City Chiefs vs Los Angles Chargers: Anyone else feel like it was a month ago we saw the Chiefs on the field? Patrick Mahomes and company hit LA and face a tough Chargers defense but when you have number 15 under center is any defense that hard to beat? Tyrod Taylor has the tall task of keeping up and trying not to force things in order to keep pace. The Chiefs are looking for win number 11 in a row dating back to last year.
- New England Patriots vs Seattle Seahawks: Without question, this is the game of the week and the perfect end to a full Sunday. Cam Newton looked good last week and HEALTHY, but can he stand up through 16 games is the weekly story. For the Seahawks we got what we have been dying to see, Russell Wilson tossing dimes all over the field and being a playmaker. D.K. Metcalf is the real deal if you didn’t know. Seattle struggles with pass defense so look for Cam to take to the air and showcase his arm and get his wideouts and backs into the attack.
- Dallas Cowboys vs Atlanta Flacons: Will we ever see a legit defense from the Falcons? How many years will they struggle to get to the quarterback, defend the pass, get off the field on key 3rd downs? It is the same old song on that side of the ball, while the offense has weapons all over it doesn’t matter. For Dallas, you have to give Dak time to make plays and see the field and another injury along the offensive line won’t help. You think Cowboy fans are too much now, let them fall to 0-2.
- Chicago Bears vs New York Giants: With the quick turnaround the G-Men take on the Bears who are still buzzing over Mitchell Trubisky lead 4th quarter comeback. After what we saw JuJu and the Steelers do Allen Robinson should shine and help Mitch be more consistent which he wasn’t until the 4th last week. Saquon Barkley can’t hit the field fast enough after getting shut down by the Steelers. The New York media and even some past players giving their 2 cents is all the motivation he needs to show out.
- Jacksonville Jaguars vs Tennessee Titans: Who had this one down as two teams sitting at 1-0? Ok, stop lying. I have two questions that need answers for this game. 1. Can the Jaguars defense slow down Derrick Henry and 2. What will Gardner Minshew do for an encore?
- Pittsburg Steelers vs Denver Broncos: Big Ben is that you? Steelers fans sure hope so he made some plays and flashed some of that old school magic we have seen for years. The loss of James Conner shouldn’t be that big as we know Pittsburgh always has a stable of quality backs. And you can add wide receivers to that statement as well. How do you not come into this game feeling god after shutting Saquon Barkley and knowing Denver is without Phillip Lindsay? Drew Lock is still feeling his way as an NFL starter, he will look to Jerry Jeudy who had a case of the drops and the return of Courtland Sutton for help.
You thought some people hit the panic button too quickly last week? Whichever teams fall to 0-2 are in for a long week, hopefully, the refs will allow players to play and not be a major factor in outcomes. Get all those chores and errands done NOW before kickoff and go to the early service, Sundays are for Football and don’t forget to check those fantasy lineups up until kickoff. Thanks for checking out 1st and 10 follow me @JoeCardoso301 for more sports talk and of course our team of NFL writers at our site and YouTube Channel. Enjoy the games.