West Virginia wide receiver Daikiel Shorts (6) celebrates making a catch during the first half of a NCAA college football game against TCU, Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016, in Morgantown, W.Va. (AP Photo/Raymond Thompson)
On April 27th, 1984, the rock band Twisted Sister released a song called, “We’re Not Gonna Take It” There are two fan bases that need to say the Twisted Sister lyrics, every day until their coaches are fired.
“Oh we’re not gonna take it
No, we ain’t gonna take it
Oh we’re not gonna take it anymore
We’ve got the right to choose it
There ain’t no way we’ll lost it
This is our life, this is our song”
Oregon’s Mark Helfrich brought in Brady Hoke as his defensive coordinator. Forget that fact that Hoke looks exactly like New Jersey’s governor Chris Christie, he has been a horrible coach for years. Hoke took Michigan from a national powerhouse to a horrible program in just 4 years. His 4-year record with the Wolverines was 11-2, 8-5, 7-6 and 5-7. For ruining Michigan’s program Hoke got rewarded, by Helfrich, to run his defense. The Ducks have lost 5 in a row and their defense has let up 35, 41, 51, 70 and 52 points.
Texas Tech and Kliff Kingsbury are probably the worst defensive team in the country. For two years, I have been documenting how historically bad their defense has been. The Red Raiders are 3-4 and they have given up 68, 45, 44, 48 and 66 points. Both Helfrich and Kingsbury need to be relieved of their duties immediately.
Here are 5 things the Sports Whisperer Learned about week 8 in college football.
5) #12 West Virginia has arrived: I have been writing about the Mountaineers for a few weeks and rightly so. After beating TCU 34-10 WV is a legitimate threat to win the Big-12. They are (6-0, 3-0 Big 12) and off to their best start since winning its first seven games in 2006. QB, Skyler Howard threw 4 touchdown passes and had a passing rating of 211.3. WV has one of the deepest and most talented wide receiving units in the country. Daikiel Shorts Jr. is becoming an elite WR.
4) #2 Ohio State Loses: The Nittany Lions upset the Buckeyes 24-21. It was the first time an unranked Penn State team has defeated a top 10 ranked program since they beat #2 OSU coached by Woody Hayes in 1964. Urban Meyer’s team still has a chance to play in the Final Four Playoffs but they must win every game remaining on their schedule. It is an uphill battle. They still have to play #8 Nebraska and #3 Michigan.
3) #21 Auburn embarrasses #17 Arkansas 56-3:The Tigers had over 600 yards in total offense and led 28—3 at halftime. They outscored the Razorbacks 28-0 in the second half. I have been a supporter or Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, but in his 4th season, he is now 23-23 and 8-20 in the SEC. Well -coached teams don’t continually get blown out. A change might be necessary.
2) Colorado wins in a baseball game against Stanford 10-5: I didn’t think anything could be worse than watching the Seattle Seahawks tie the Arizona Cardinals, 6-6 on Sunday night football, I was wrong. The game between the Buffaloes and Cardinal turned back college football twenty years. In an era where every rule favors the offense, these two teams played this game like it was a glorified scrimmage. The Pac-12 has only two teams that will compete for a legitimate bowl game, #5 Washington and #19 Utah.
1) Should we just give #1 Alabama off until the playoffs: Alabama continues to roll. They dominated #6 Texas A&M 33-14. The Tide’s remaining schedule has no quality opponents. Their only test will come against #21 Auburn. Even if they lose that game they will still make the Final Four.
The Sports Whisperer’s Top 5 Rankings:
5) West Virginia
Follow the Sports Whisperer on Twitter:Montetjwitter11