In my pre-season college football article, I listed four coaches that were on the “hot seat.” Les Miles (LSU), Charlie Strong (Texas), Mark Helfrich (Oregon) and Kliff Kingsbury(Texas Tech). The first two, Miles and Strong have already been fired. I fully expect the last two, Helfrich and Kingsbury to be gone by the first week of December. College football has really become the haves and have-nots. This season will mark the first time in Bowl history that 8 teams under .500 will play in Bowl games. They simply don’t have enough teams with records above .500 to play in all the Bowls.
Here are 5 things the Sports Whisperer learned about week 13 in College Football.
5) Jim Harbaugh…stop complaining: After #3 Michigan lost to #2 Ohio State in an epic battle 30-27 in two overtimes, Harbaugh complained about the officiating. There were several controversial calls in this game, including a 4th down conversion late in the overtime where Ohio State Quarterback J.T Barrett appeared to come up short. The referees gave him the first down and the Buckeyes went on to score the game winning touchdown. The officiating was bad but make no mistake about it, that is not why Michigan lost. The Wolverines lost, for the same reason they are not an elite team. their quarterback. Wilton Speight had two terrible interceptions and fumbled the ball inside the Ohio State five-yard line. If Harbaugh got better quarterback play they would have won easily. Michigan dominated the play for most of the game.
4) Bama Rolls: The #1 Crimson Tide didn’t look great on Saturday but they still defeated #13 Auburn 30-12. They will play number #15 Florida in the SEC Championship on Saturday. Florida has a very good defensive but they couldn’t score 20 points against an elite high school team. This game will be over by halftime and Alabama will once again make the final four playoffs. There is no doubt that they have been the best team in college football from start to finish.
3) Oregon loses to Oregon State: Mark Helfrich and the Oregon Ducks are 4-8. It is the teams worst record since 1991. Under former head coach Chips Kelly, this is football team that was once a top 7 powerhouse. Helfrich has destroyed this program in 4 years. They have no depth and the talent pool has been drained. Phil Knight (co-founder and chairman of Nike) is a former graduate of Oregon and he is the most influential alumni in all of college athletics. I fully expect the Ducks to go after “Big-time” coaches. Money will not be an object in their next hire and I would be calling Kelly until he blocked me or got a restraining order. With their facilities, uniforms and recent history, Oregon needs to get back on track next year.
2) #12 USC beats Notre Dame 45-27: The Trojans have won 8 straight games. Other than Alabama there is not a team in the country who is playing better than USC. Unfortunately, this dominate victory was the backstory. The real story came when Notre Dame’s Jerry Tillery kicked one USC player in the head, and stepped on another’s leg. There is no place in football for this type of bush league, WWE antics. Tillery needs to be dismissed from the team immediately. This is not something any school should tolerate. Too many times we see someone break the rules on and off the field or court and they get a slap on the wrist. He kicked a player in the head when they were down. It could have been a spine or neck injury and that could have led to paralysis. Notre Dame must act immediately. Maybe one of the reason why ND is 4-8 this year is because they have classless players like Tillery on their team.
1) LSU loses with Ed Orgeron and Texas wins with Tom Herman: After going 5-2 LSU decided to take the interim title from Orgeron and make him their head coach. This is a terrible hire. Orgeron is a coordinator not a head coach. I know the LSU fans wanted him to be the head coach but there is an old saying, when you are in position to make decisions and you listen to the fans, you will become one. Orgeron will never win a national championship at LSU. He will not be able to out recruit other coaches in the SEC and his offensive game plan has been sophomoric at best. From this point on LSU will win 8-10 games every year but never be a legitimate contender under their new coaches watch. Herman will turn Texas around within 2 years. He made Houston into a top 10 team. The high school talent in Texas is one of the best in the country. He will get 5 star athletes there starting tomorrow. Look for Texas to play in the final four within 2-3 years.
If you don’t win your conference, you shouldn’t be allowed to play in the Final Four.
The Sports Whisperer’s Top 5
- Ohio State