Sometimes sports imitates life. No matter who you voted for, we can all agree, that half the country did not like the Republican Nominee and half the country did not like the Democratic nominee for president. The same can be said for the two best teams in the NFL right now. Over half of the country does not care for the New England Patriots or the Dallas Cowboys. But, both are here to stay.
Here are 5 Things the Sports whisperer learned about Week 10 in the NFL.
5) Do you believe me now about Marcus Mariota? When Mariota was junior at the University of Oregon I wrote that he was the best QB prospect I had ever seen. A lot of people thought I was crazy, but nothing has changed my mind about the 23-year-old signal caller. The Titans are 5-4 despite an average coach and an average wide receiving core. Mariota won offensive player of the week for the 3rd time in his 2-year career. On Sunday, Mariota completed 19-of-26 for 295 yards passed for four touchdowns and his passer rating was 149.5 Tenn. Upset the Green Bay Packers 47-25 . Over his last 5 games, he has 17 touchdown passes. I don’t think TN will make the playoffs this season but if Mariota is running the team, they will continue to get better. There is a huge difference between Mariota and Jameis Winston. The Buccaneers picked the wrong guy.
4) Packers and Steelers what happened? Green Bay and Pittsburgh are both 4-5. Both head coaches are on the hot seat and both QB’s continue to take the blame for the team’s failures. The two teams look uninspired and out of sync. Both have a chance to win their weak divisions, but time is running out. This is not Aaron Rodger’s fault, his receivers have struggled to get open and head coach Mike McCarthy continues to struggle with the game plan. If they don’t make the playoffs both coaches will be fired. Look for Nick Saban to be courted by both teams in the off-season.
3) Are the cowboys the best team in the NFL? Dallas is 8-1 and they are a plus 88 in point differential. They have won 8 straight games with an old formula. They run the ball effectively with Ezekiel Elliott (1st in the NFL with 1005 rushing yards) and their QB Dak Prescott doesn’t turn the ball over. Prescott has 14 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. I don’t think Dallas will make the Super Bowl but they are a powerhouse with two young, talented offensive players. They are a team of the future but they are winning now.
2) Statement win for Seattle: The Seahawks went into Gillette Stadium Sunday night and defeated the New England Patriots 31-24. Anytime you can beat NE at home, that is a signature win. The Seahawks are 6-2-1 and are finally getting everyone involved in their offense. TE, Jimmy Graham is starting to look comfortable and that is a scary sign for the rest of the NFC. Come playoff time,their defense will be dominant. Russell Wilson could be the NFL MVP, they have a plethora of WR’s.
1) The Jets are the same ole Jets: Growing up, I was a Jets fan. I had no choice in this, it was like an arranged marriage. My dad and older brothers liked the Jets so I had to. Well, no more, I am no longer emotionally invested. The Jets lost 9-6 at home to an average LA Rams team. In an era where offenses continue to put up numbers, the Jets appear, once again, to be one of the worst offensive units in the league. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty have all taken part in this dysfunctional mess. The Jets haven’t been to a Super Bowl since 1969. That was the last time they had a franchise quarterback… coincidence?
The Saints and Panthers lost heartbreakers on Sunday. NO is 4-5 and CAR is 3-6. The two teams will play Thursday Night. The loser is out of the playoffs.
Every team in the NFC East is over .500 no one thought that would be the case in pre-season
The AFC West is the best division in football. Raiders are 7-2, Chiefs are 7-2 and the Broncos are 7-3.
Browns may go 0-16 and they would be overachieving with that record.
Top 5 Power Rankings
- Dallas Cowboys
- New England Patriots
- Seattle Seahawks
- Oakland Raiders
- Denver Broncos
Follow the Sports Whisperer on Twitter: Montetjwitter11