By: Caleb Luketic
The brand new NFL season began on March 10th at 4pm Eastern Time and it has been crazy. This has been one of the wildest free agent frenzies in NFL history. There were surprising blockbuster trades within just minutes of each other, players agreed to contracts with new teams, and players being cut. I cannot remember an NFL free agency period that was more chaotic than this year’s was.
- The New Orleans Saints traded TE Jimmy Graham and a 4th round pick in 2015 to the Seattle Seahawks for Center Max Unger and a 1st round pick in 2015. It amazes me that the Seahawks were able to pull off a huge move like this. It will make their offense that much more dynamic and difficult to defend.
- The Baltimore Ravens sent DE Haloti Ngata to the Detroit Lions for a 4th and 5th round pick in 2015. The Lions needed to replace the hole that Suh left when he agreed to sign with the Dolphins earlier this week. The Ravens also free up some cap space with this trade.
- Perhaps the biggest trade of the day was between the Eagles and the Rams. The Philadelphia Eagles sent QB Nick Foles, 4th round pick in 2015, and a 2nd round pick in 2016 to the Rams in exchange for QB Sam Bradford and a 5th round pick in 2015. This trade has shocked a lot of people because this trade came out of no where. It will interesting to see if Bradford can stay healthy in Chip Kelly’s quick paced offense.
- Ndamukong Suh signed a $114 million contract with $60 million guaranteed with the Miami Dolphins
- Darrelle Revis left the New England Patriots and returned to where his career began with the New York Jets
- Jeremy Maclin signed with the Kansas City Chiefs
- Randall Cobb resigned with the Green Bay Packers
- Torrey Smith left Baltimore and headed out west to the San Francisco 49ers
- Julius Thomas signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars
- Owen Daniels reunited with Gary Kubiak in Denver
- Frank Gore had committed to the Eagles earlier in the week, but he signed with the Indianapolis Colts
- Andre Johnson also signed with the Indianapolis Colts
- Shane Vereen signed with the New York Giants
- Byron Maxwell signed with the Philadelphia Eagles
- Cary Williams left Philly and signed with the Seattle Seahawks
- Roy Helu signed with the Oakland Raiders
- A.J. Hawk left the Packers and joined the Bengals
- Trent Cole joins the Colts
There are too many signings to name them all so these are the most notable signings and trades from Free Agency day 1. Another thing that amazes me is how the NFL was able to steal the headlines in March when there is no football even being played. It just goes to show how much people care about what happens in the NFL even in the offseason.