By: Chandler Ragsdale
Man, what a time it is to be a baseball fan! We’re seeing great things happen all across the league, from young stars making names for themselves, to walk-off home runs, to full extension catches! If you aren’t already currently following this 2017 MLB season, you might want to start!
One Big Question:
The Minnesota Twins are first in the AL Central and it’s mid-June, can they continue to keep this lead as the season progresses?
Answer: Yes, I believe that they can. The Twins are looking at a huge series against the Indians right now, and are looking to make a statement against the team who took the division last season. Young right-hander Jose Berrios is starting to pitch phenomenally, and Miguel Sano has really helped this lineup. Byron Buxton is such a great defensive presence in their outfield, and they have guys like Joe Mauer who is a great veteran, and he can still perform and help lead this team. Overall this team has a lot of great young players, and they can really make a run not only during this season, but also in years to come…
1. Houston Astros (Last Week: 1)- Although they haven’t been playing so hot as of late, the Astros are still holding down the number 1 spot in my power rankings this week. When they get Dallas Keuchel and Lance McCullers back they are the best team in baseball, but right now they need to find out how to survive without them.
2. Colorado Rockies (Last Week: 2)- The Rockies are still playing really great baseball, and silencing all of their doubters with each tally that they add to their win column.
3. Los Angeles Dodgers (Last Week: 4)- This Dodgers team is very dangerous. Cody Bellinger is a flat-out stud and he has lead the Dodgers to the best record in baseball since he got called up. Not to mention that this team still has the best pitcher in baseball in Clayton Kerhsaw, and one of the best arms from the outfield in the league with Yasiel Puig
4. New York Yankees (Last Week: 5)- Aaron Judge is looking like he will be the next great player to wear Pinstripes, and he’s showing us that he’s maturing as a player. However, one main reason for the Yankees success so far is the production that Judge’s teammates are giving him.
5. Washington Nationals (Last Week: 3)- Bryce Harper and the Nationals are still playing well, and it seems that each time that the Mets don’t catch a break, they do.
6. Minnesota Twins (Last Week: 6)
7. Boston Red Sox (Last Week: 8)
8. Arizona Diamondbacks (Last Week: 7)
9. Milwaukee Brewers (Last Week: 9)
10. Los Angeles Angels (Last Week: Not Listed)