By: Monte Perez
Week 8 has come and gone in the NFL. What we are seeing now is teams separating themselves from the pack. Football is the most popular sport in America, part of the reason is because of Fantasy Football sites like Fan Duel and Draft Kings, the casual fan is now watching games because they are not only emotionally involved but financially invested as well. I play Fan Duel, I finished 9,000 this week out of 470,000 people. I basically beat almost half a million people and I won $12.00. Like my picks in Fan Duel last week, there is a lot of bad decisions and bad football being made. I am taking the gloves off here in my week 8 recap. Put the children to bed here, this is not for the faint at heart.
5 Things We Learned About Week 8 in the NFL
5) Note to the NFL… Stop sending teams over to England: The Kansas City Chiefs played the Detroit Lions over in England on Sunday. Unless you are a degenerate gambler, live in Kansas City or Detroit no one cared about this game. The Previous week the NFL sent the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars overseas. Can we just stop doing this please? If the NFL ever gets a team over there, the team will always be horrible. No legitimate free agent who spent his whole life playing football in America is going to want to uproot his family and spend his career outside the country. Basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer can all be played abroad because we have international superstars who play here but are from different countries. It is very rare that someone outside America becomes a legitimate football player. Now to the game… There is a reason why everyone calls me The Sports Whisperer. When Jim Caldwell was leading the Lions to an 11-5 record last season, I told everyone to wait for it wait for it. I have written numerous articles clearly stating that the Lions would get worse every year under Caldwell. The Lions are now 1-7 and they lost 45-10 to a Chiefs team that had 2 wins coming into last week. Let us just call it like it is. Caldwell may be a great father, husband, friend and man but what he isn’t is a competent head coach. As a matter of fact, he is horrible. Lions would be smart to let him go at the end of the season. As bad as 1-7 is this will be the norm for a coach who has a combined 66-104 record. Say it out loud with me Detroit… Caldwell is 66-104!
4) When will the AFC East (Least) learn a valuable lesson? In a strange twist of events, The Buffalo Bills didn’t play this week, yet they had 12 penalties and Rex Ryan used up all three of his timeouts with 2:23 remaining in the 3rd quarter. The New England Patriots dominated the Miami Dolphins 36-7 on Thursday night. When will teams learn, you are not going to beat the Patriots by playing smash mouth football, you are not going to beat them by loading up talent on defense ( ask the Seahawks how that worked out). The only way to beat New England is two ways. Control the ball on offense so Tom Brady gets limited touches or outscore them. Either way you are going to need a competent quarterback to do this. The Jets have Ryan Fitzpatrick who is 10-52 when he throws the ball over 30 times a game. The Bills have Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel and the Dolphins have Ryan Tannehill who had two interceptions against New England and 0 passing TDs. What makes the Patriots so great is that they constantly put pressure on defensive. The Patriots are always amongst the league leaders in going for it on 4th down. They can score in bunches or dink and dunk you to death. If anyone watched the World Series, being dinked and dunked to death instead of a quick homerun drains you emotionally and physically. The Patriots get to an early lead almost every game and this makes teams become 1 dimensional. They force you to throw the ball and play from behind. Their defense constantly loses quality players like Darrelle Revis and Vince Wilfork yet the never miss a beat. They keep evolving and constantly out prepare teams. Fans want to call them cheaters… fine. I wish my Jets would cheat, maybe then I would be able to watch them play in a Super Bowl in my lifetime. Last time the Jets played for a championship was 1969. Until the AFC East gets a legitimate quarterback the Patriots will dominate the division like they have for the past 15 years. WAKE UP BUFFALO, MIAMI AND NEW YORK, IT IS EMBARRASSING.
3) Wade Phillips… R-E-L-A-X- The undefeated Denver Broncos (7-0) defeated the (6-1) Green Bay Packers on Sunday Night 29-10. Aaron Rodgers had one of his worst games as a pro. He was 14-22 for 77 yards passing. The Packers were pushed around and physically abused in this match up. The Broncos had 500 yards in total offense compared to Green Bay’s 140. Every team has at least 1 or 2 games during the season where everything goes wrong. That is why there is only 1 team in the history of NFL to go undefeated (The 1972 Miami Dolphins). It was an impressive win but the Packers are fine. Despite losing their best WR Jordy Nelson, Green Bay will still win 12 or 13 games. After the Victory defensive coordinator Wade Phillips Tweeted “Chicken Parm tastes so good-I like it especially with Cheese.” Phillips was obviously taking a huge shot at Rodgers. My response would have been, “Watching the Music City Miracle on YouTube right now.” (The Music City Miracle is a play that took place on January 8, 2000 during the National Football League’s 1999–2000 playoffs. It occurred at the end of the Wild Card Playoff game between the Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills at Adelphia Coliseum in Nashville, Tennessee. After the Bills had taken a 16–15 lead on a field goal with 16 seconds left in the game, Titans tight end Frank Wycheck threw a lateral pass across the field to Kevin Dyson on the ensuing kickoff return, and Dyson then ran 75 yards to score the winning touchdown and earn a 22–16 victory. –Taken from Wikipedia) Phillips has been a head coach with 6 different teams in the NFL (New Orleans, Denver, Buffalo, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston). He has never been a head coach for more than 4 years before being fired. His last year in Dallas they were 1-7.
2) Where the Sports Whisperer was wrong- I had the Steelers and Patriots going to the AFC Championships. Pittsburgh is now 4-4, Ben Roethlisberger came back from injury and now they lost one of the best running backs in the league. ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter reported Le’Veon Bell’s MCL was “badly” torn after the game. Last season the Steelers had the best “Big 3” in the NFL with Roethlisberger, Bell and WR Antonio Brown. This is a loss that they won’t be able to overcome in the long run. They can still make the playoffs but they are no longer a Super Bowl Contender.
1) Unbeatable or just Undefeated? There are 4 teams who have won every game on their schedule so far. (Patriots 7-0, Bengals 7-0, Denver 7-0, and the Panthers 7-0). Does anyone really think that Carolina can win a Super Bowl? In a playoff game, I would take the Green Bay over Carolina 100 times out of 100. Carolina is a very good team but until they can play consistently on offense I can’t believe in them. In order for a team in the AFC to beat the Patriots they will have to do at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro. The Broncos defense is outstanding but does anyone think Peyton Manning can “outduel” Tom Brady on a cold, windy day in January? Besides the Buffalo Bills, the Bengals have one of the most talented rosters on both sides of the ball. But does anyone think the “Red Riffle” can win a playoff game in a hostile environment. Cincinnati’s quarterback Andy Dalton is 0-4 in the playoffs with 1 touchdown and 6 interceptions. I am sorry to the rest of the AFC but when it comes to beating the Patriots….
Bonus Coverage: Did anyone see the Madden Football Game that was broadcast live on Fox between the New York Giants and New Orleans Saints. The Saints won 52-49, the Giants have no play makers on defense and New Orleans has Rob Ryan running the defense. I would have fired Ryan at halftime. It doesn’t look good for Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin or General Manager Jerry Reese. If New York doesn’t make the playoffs they will have missed the post season 6 out of 7 years.
Philadelphia travels to Dallas this week in the Sunday Night game. Loser will be out of the playoffs. This is a must win game for both teams. The Cowboys have lost 5 straight since Tony Romo was injured and the Eagles are 3-4 despite Sam Bradford being the lowest ranked quarterback in the league. How they won 3 games is proof God is an Eagles fan. I keep waiting for it to “Click” with Bradford and for him to throw for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns. If he can’t do it off this bye week he won’t be back in Philadelphia next year.
Follow the Sports Whisperer on Twitter: Montetjwitter11
And listen to the Monte Cristo Sports Thing Thursday’s at 7pm on WRNJ Radio