By Ryan Crossingham
The greatest night in sports is just days away and the most unpredictable reality show in the world will kick into full force come Thursday evening.
What’s great about the unpredictable is that everyone attempts to predict it and I’m no different. While I’d be lucky to get 10 percent correct, here is my best guess on how the chips will fall come draft night.
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
There are plenty of smokescreens, but Winston is the right pick.
- Tennessee Titans, Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
Mariota doesn’t really fit the Titans’ offense. Bit of a panic pick by Titans.
- Jacksonville Jaguars, Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
Chargers grab most NFL ready receiver for Bortles to grow with.
- Oakland Raiders, Leonard Williams, DL, USC
Raiders get steal at number four with maybe the best overall prospect.
- Washington Redskins, Dante Fowler, OLB, Florida
Best outside rusher falls to number five thanks to Titans selecting a quarterback.
- (TRADE) St. Louis Rams (via NYJ), Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
Rams make move for big, physical receiver.
- Chicago Bears, Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky
Bears continue to add pieces to their new 3-4 defense.
- Atlanta Falcons, Vic Beasley, OLB/DE, Clemson
Falcons get Beasley to play LEO position in Dan Quinn’s offense.
- New York Giants, Andrus Peat, T, Stanford
Eli Manning needs protection to get the ball to all those explosive playmakers.
- New York Jets (via STL) Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
Jets move down, acquire picks and still get their guy at number 10.
- Minnesota Vikings, Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa
Vikings solidify their front line. Waynes is the pick if Scherff is off the board.
- Cleveland Browns, Danny Shelton, NT, Washington
Browns get athletic nose tackle to anchor their front seven.
- New Orleans Saints, Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska
Gregory may fall further down the draft, but the talent is too high to pass on for defensive needy Saints.
- Miami Dolphins, Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
Dolphins rush to the podium to get the top corner in the draft.
- (TRADE) Cleveland Browns (via SF), DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
Browns move up to finally add a receiver.
- (TRADE) Detroit Lions (via HOU) Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
Lions jump past Chargers to get highly coveted Gordon.
- San Diego Chargers, Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida
Chargers add playmaker on the outside for Phillip Rivers.
- Kansas City Chiefs, Cam Eriving, C, Florida State
Titans replace Rodney Hudson at center with Florida State prospect.
- San Francisco 49ers (via CLE), Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon
49ers move down and still get their man.
- Philadelphia Eagles, Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami
Eagles add speedy receiver to help replace the loss of Jeremy Maclin.
- Cincinnati Bengals, La’el Collins, T, LSU
Bengals get nasty up front with what some consider top tackle in the draft.
- Pittsburgh Steelers, Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
Johnson has the best pure cover skills of all the corners in the draft and Steelers fill a big need.
- Houston Texans (via DET), Damarious Randall, S, Arizona State
Texans take ball-hawking safety to complement their pass rush.
- Arizona Cardinals, Ereck Flowers, T, Miami
With both backs off the board, Cardinals take big tackle to protect Carson Palmer. (Nobody wants to see their backups anymore.)
- Carolina Panthers, Jake Fisher, T, Oregon
Panthers have to do a better job of protecting Cam Newton and Fisher helps.
- (TRADE) Tennessee Titans (via BAL), Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
Titans move back into first round to grab USC playmaker for Mariota.
- Dallas Cowboys, Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
Cowboys solidify secondary with Peters and his questionable character concerns.
- Denver Broncos, Cedric Ogbuehi, T, Texas A&M
Broncos have to protect Petyon. Ogbuehi would have been top 10 pick before knee injury.
- Indianapolis Colts, Landon Collins, S, Alabama
Colts have big need at safety and grab Alabama prospect.
- Green Bay Packers, Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma
Packers make another sound, solid pick.
- New Orleans Saints, Byron Jones, CB, UCONN
Saints continue to beef up their defense with Jones.
- New England Patriots, Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State
Patriots round out first round with run stuffing Seminole to help replace Vince Wilfork.