By: Joe Cardoso
Any real college football fan knows you never, look at the schedule and think there won’t be any good games on. Any given Saturday an unknown can come up and steal one or a team come together for 4 quarters and gets the job done. This past weekend I saw just that and I also witnessed the glory which has gained the hashtag #Pac12AfterDark. If you haven’t seen it yet, or don’t know what I’m talking about grab a nap in or throw back a Red Bull you won’t’ regret it. Triple OT thriller Washington State and Bosie State.We had the ultimate revenge in Columbus and a freshman legend in the making. Here are my rankings and week 2 story lines:
- What have sports become, when even good old fashion payback has to be done nicely? NO WAY in the world Baker Mayfield should have apologized for roasting the Buckeyes and letting them know the shoe is really Norman “North”.
- Lamar Jackson better start getting the respect the defending Heisman Trophy winner deserves. 525 total yards and 6 touchdowns, SIX!!!!
- Another week and another solid job by Jake Fromm doing just enough to lead Georgia to a road win in a tough environment. Can you tell I am all in with this kid. Love the leadership and poise.
- Can you hear it? That’s the sound of Buckeye nation and maybe even members of the staff asking if J.T. Barrett is the answer at QB.
- Notre Dame and Brian Kelly need to end this relationship. It’s time and based on his record during his time in South Bend pay the man and hit the reset button.
Player Of The Week: Lamar Jackson. Why you ask? SIX TOUCHDOWNS!! And he should be the favorite in anyone’s EARLY Heisman Trophy voting.
- Alabama Crimson Tide: (2-0) Coming off the FSU win the Tide cruised past Fresno State and get ready for Colorado State. Another week for Jalen Hurst to shake off the rust and get the passing game going.
- Oklahoma Sooners: (2-0) The Sooners went into a place where teams go to lose their confidence and walked out BIG winners. These wins can carry a team and also stay top of mind when playoff voting begins. Baker Mayfield is a great quarterback and the legend grows. Hey Lincoln Riley how you liking the job so far bud?
- USC Trojans: (2-0) Stanford has been an issue for this program for years now, and a statement was made on Saturday. The running back duo is top notch and THIS was the Sam Darnold we all wanted to see.
- Clemson Tigers: (2-0) 11 sacks against Auburn and the D line is so deep and talented they come at you in waves. Each week Kelly Bryant gains more confidence. Next week we see how good the defense really is as Lamar Jackson is on deck
- Penn State Nittany Lions: (2-0) Workmen like job against Pitt and a trip to cup cake city as Georgia State is next. WE ARE!
- Michigan Wolverines: (2-0) What keeps UM coaches and fans like myself awake at night about this team? Too many turnovers and sloppy quarterback play. Still, time to get it right before the start of Big 10 play.
- Oklahoma State Cowboys: (2-0) Coming into the season the talk was about the potential of this offense led by Mason Rudolph. So far, so GREAT.
- Washington Huskies: (2-0) After the performance vs Rutgers this is the Huskies team we were looking to see and they came out and performed and have to build off of it.
- Ohio State Buckeyes: (1-1) Oh to be a fly on the wall in any meeting room or practice field in Columbus this week.
- LSU Tigers: (2-0) A classic Tiger type game squeeze the life out of the other team and make big plays. They leap into SEC play this week.
Week 2 was much better than I expected it to be and that will be a theme throughout the season. I want to send prayers to all those affected by Hurricane Irma. Week 3 has a boat load of games featuring teams looking to get on track. Which means players giving it maximum effort and better play. Follow our blog @NutsAndBoltsSP or for more college football talk weekly reviews and power rankings debate follow me @JoeCardoso21