By: Joe Cardoso
Well, that was fun, wasn’t it? The first week of college football week 1 is in the books and it was everything college football fans could have hoped for and more. We had HUGE matchups and some unreal comebacks that have some coaches on the hot seat. But a national championship is not won in the first week, you can shatter championship dreams with an ugly loss or injury. Week 1 storylines and top 10, LET” S GO!!
- Injuries are part of the game and we love to yell next man up. But have we ever seen such big ones at key positions in recent years?
-Florida State Quarterback Deondre Francois OUT for the year, Alabama Linebackers Terrell Lewis and Christian Miller OUT for the year, Texas A&M quarterback Nick Starkel OUT for possibly the year, Georgia quarterback Jacob Eason sprained knee and those are just a few of the big names.
- Josh Rosen said enough talk and lead UCLA on a comeback that myself or any fan won’t forget anytime soon. As if the Aggies didn’t have enough pressure in themselves that sort of loss kills a team. Can they come back from it? I don’t think so. Just look at Rosen stats one last time 35-59 491 yards and 4 touchdowns! 35 unanswered points is sick.
- Teams that surprised me and that I want to see more of in week 2.
All had quality wins and showed much more than I expected, can they do it again?
-My player of the week is hands down Josh Rosen.
And Now for the Top Ten
- Alabama Crimson Tide: (1-0) Took advantage of FSU special team mistakes and made enough plays. They are a work in progress but still bama.
- Ohio State Buckeyes: (1-0) Down at halftime the Buckeyes woke up and led by freshman running back J.K Dobbins went off for 28 straight points
- Penn State Nittany Lions: (1-0) Saquin Barkley started off his Heisman campaign strong with 172 rushing yards vs Akron.
- Clemson Tigers: (1-0) New QB, no problem the Tigers showed speed for days on both sides of the ball. Hello Kelly Bryant, very nice to meet you, sir.
- Oklahoma State Cowboys: Yes, it was against Tulsa but they looked so good doing it. Name a better WR crop in the nation? I’ll wait….
- USC Trojans: (1-0) Stumbled out of the gate vs a Western Michigan team with ZERO fear in its heart. But the running game came alive and made up for Sam Darnold mistakes and so-so performance. Next up Stanford, can’t afford a slow start again.
- Oklahoma Sooners: (1-0) This game was set up perfectly for Lincoln Riley’s debut and now he goes to Columbus to face the Buckeyes. Baker Mayfield has a chance to grow his legend even more.
- Michigan: (1-0) The defense is full of angry, fast, mean men. But quarterback play is a MAJOR ISSUE.
- Washington Huskies: (1-0) Simple Travel across the country and face a team that has nothing to lose. They got it done and will need the O Line to shape up so Jake Browning can do his thing.
- Florida State Seminoles: The issue vs bama was bad special teams and losing Francois the defense did what it needed to do. Now the question is can James Blackman do the job? Stay tuned.
Who else is ready for week 2? Shoutout to USC for letting Jake Olsen get in the game a play. Wonderful sports moment. Shutout to the Maryland Terps for going on the road and beating Texas great road win, FEAR THE TURTLE. Shutout to Howard University for beating UNLV and sticking it to Vegas that had them as 45-point underdogs.
Want to talk more College football? Follow me @JoeCardoso21 and our blog @NutsAndBoltsSP