By: Joe Cardoso
To quote Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson “Been hit wit a few shells but I don’t walk wit a limp.” That is the mindset of so many college football teams that had high expectations and stumbled out the blocks, but now are hitting their stride. And after being in the headlines for all the wrong reasons we saw the James Franklin led Penn State team defeat a top 3 Ohio State team. Coaches at Purdue and Fresno State get fired mid-season Charlie Strong on death row this is the 2016 College Football season. The replays are over and the talking heads have had their say, here are my thoughts on week 8.
- Ohio State: The Buckeyes fell victim to the white out in happy valley. 100 thousand strong and some key bounces helped the upset happen. First, win over a top-five team since 1999, BIGGEST win in the Franklin era so far, highest ranked home win since 1982! The game if you look at the stats was all OSU but the Nittany Lions kept fighting and the penalties on the Buckeyes hurt for sure. What an exciting way to win off a block field goal scooped and run back 60 yards to the house and an insane fan base. I don’t think this kills the Ohio State CFB playoff dream, but it makes “The Game” vs mighty Michigan that much more important. At 3-1 in the Big Ten, Penn State has a chance to still be a factor and land a nice bowl game. I still feel strongly that PSU should not have done a Joe Paterno tribute but this night it was all about the new era and it was awesome.
- Hey, Auburn is that you? Oh, how things have changed remember when people were sending real estate cards to Gus Malzahn house. The Tigers have a chance now to end the season strong and be a major spoiler. The Razorbacks had ZERO chance of stopping the Tigers who won 56-3 and ran for 543 yards. READ THAT AGAIN!! And if you haven’t heard of the next great SEC running back write this down Kamryn Pettway is the truth and will be a problem, people. With the Iron Bowl still on deck and the team moving the right way, things could get very exciting. Next up for the Tigers is Ole Miss and a lot to play for still.
- The Big 12 has a lot of high powered offenses but when they play against West Virginia they get stopped. The Mountaineers are for real folks. Holding high-powered TCU to 10 points and keeping their run alive. Skyler Howard is getting it done and his 4 TD’s showcased his skills. With 9 new starters on defense, the sky is the limit. It will be fun to watch how this team ends the season and plays in a major bowl game.
- Alabama: What more can I say about the tide? Texas A&M gave it a real go but in the end, the depth, coaching, and talent of Alabama rose to the top. Another nonoffensive touchdown and is it time to start talking about Jalen Hurst in the Heisman race? The kid has done nothing but be a leader and show poise and skill way beyond his years. And the man who was once the laughing stock of the football world Lane Kiffin is the hottest thing out. The number of players on defense who can be playing on Sunday’s grows week to week and Calvin Ridley and ArDarius Stewart on the outside have speed for days.
- From out of the ashes come the Tigers of LSU! The hat aka Les Miles was fired and replaced by super interim coach Ed Orgeron and they haven’t looked back. Leonard Fournette was on the field and making people look silly as he ran whenever and wherever he wanted just ask Ole Miss Defenders. 284 yards on 16 carries isn’t a bad day’s work. 3-1 in the conference this season is not lost and if they keep moving in the right direction they can join Auburn as teams in the SEC who have bounced back.
The Houston Cougars dream came crashing down after getting beat by SMU. It was fun while it lasted.
People better buy some Red Bull or coffee and SEE the Washington Huskies LIVE
That’s it for week 8 college football fans, for more sports talk follow our blog @NutsAndBoltsSp or me @Cright.